According to the most recent statistics published by the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), there were more than 1.3 million house fires in 2015. Those house fires, most of which could have been prevented, resulted in 3,280 deaths and $14.3 million in damage. Most house fires in Charlotte, North Carolina, are caused by cooking, smoking and electrical malfunction. As the holiday season approaches, keep these three electrical safety tips in mind to protect your family from danger:

Don’t Overload the Electrical Outlets

When decorating their homes for the holidays, many homeowners make the mistake of overloading their electrical outlets. This is the number-one cause of fire during the holidays, and it’s easily avoidable.

Only plug one high wattage appliance in each electrical outlet in your home. If you use extension cords or power strips, make sure they contain circuit breakers for an added level of protection.

Upgrade Your Incandescent to LED Lights

Do you still use incandescent lights to decorate your home for the holidays? LED lights are a better alternative, as they use less energy, last longer and reduce the risk of fire by burning much cooler.

If you continue using incandescent lights, though, remember not to connect more than three strands. That’s because incandescent bulbs require more wattage than LED lights. When you connect three strands, it can blow a fuse or trip a breaker, causing a fire.

Maintain a Clearance Around Heat Sources

If you’re burning a fireplace or operating an electric space heater in your home during the holidays, keep all combustible materials at least three feet away from them. Combustible materials that can catch fire easily and burn quickly include:

  • The Christmas tree
  • Gifts with wrapping paper
  • Furniture
  • Curtains

Do you need help repairing frayed electrical wiring or damaged electrical panels? Don’t wait until it’s too late and your home has caught fire. Contact Air Today at 704-893-1230 for expert help from a professional electrician.